If you are going on vacation or your swimmer cannot attend a meet, please give this information to the coaches in email at firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week ahead of time when possible. Many hours are spent on each meet to make sure that every swimmer gets to swim and swim a variety of events. This is especially critical where a relay team is involved. The whole team is counting on each swimmer to be at each meet.
If your swimmer becomes ill or an emergency comes up and they can’t swim, please call a coach as soon as possible to report that your swimmer will not be there.
WHITE LEVEL (Age 8 and Under)
This level is designed for a novice swimmer with less than 1-2 years of competitive swimming experience. The focus of this level will be to develop the fundamental four strokes and an introduction to diving, starts and turns. This level will incorporate many drills and an introduction to stretching.
Monday 5:15 – 5:45pm
Wednesday 5:15 – 5:45pm
Friday 5:15 – 6:15pm
SILVER LEVEL (Age 9-10)
This level will start to introduce young experienced swimmers and newer older swimmers to mild distance swims. A continued emphasis on stroke, start and turn techniques will be a primary focus of this group. Continued drill work and dry land development programs will be introduced and practiced. This practice level will work towards SEOWV Championships and the Great Lakes Zone meets.
Monday 6:30 – 7:30pm
Tuesday 5:15 – 6:15pm
Wednesday 6:30 – 7:30pm
Friday 5:15 – 6:15pm
GREEN LEVEL (Age 11-12)
This level will provide experienced swimmers with both distance and sprint workouts. A high degree of emphasis will be placed on refining strokes, turns and starts. A more formalized dry land program will be introduced. Competitive swimming strategies and nutrition will also be emphasized. Specific lane assignments based on swimmer skill level will be implemented. This practice level will work towards SEOWV Championships and the Great Lakes Zone meets.
Monday 5:15 – 6:30pm
Tuesday 6:30 – 8:00pm
Wednesday 5:15 – 6:30pm
Friday 6:30 – 8:30pm
Sunday 3:00 – 4:00pm (make-up practice session – if needed)
BLACK LEVEL (Age 13 and Up)
This level will provide experienced swimmers (typically ages 11-18) with extensive distance and sprint workouts that will incorporate the core fundamentals of working towards SEOWV Championships, Great Lakes Zones, High School Swimming and National Y Swimming. Conditioning, dry land, racing strategies, weight training and nutrition will all be emphasized. Specific lane assignments based on swimmer skill level will be implemented and some sub-levels within this group will be utilized.
Monday 6:30 – 8:30pm
Tuesday 7:00 – 8:30pm
Wednesday 6:30 – 8:30pm
Thursday 7:00 – 8:30pm
Friday 6:30 – 8:30pm
Sunday 3:00 – 4:00pm
**Please note that level practice sessions are considered closed practices. Parents, guardians, friends or family are kindly asked to wait for swimmers in the YMCA lobby. We appreciate your cooperation as we work towards providing the best practice environment for our swimmers to learn. On some pre-determined practice sessions, the coaches will open practice for parents to observe
Swim Meet Information
• It is your responsibility to know when and where, and to arrange transportation to and from all swim meets. If you have transportation problems, please notify your coach immediately.
• All swim meet sign-ups will take place on our new Team Unify software that will be in place for the 2013-14 fall/winter season. You will be able to access the sign-up module for swim meets through our main home swim team home page at http://www.ymcacolumbus.org/pickaway-swim-team
. • Please note that Invitational Meets are OPTIONAL. You will be able to sign-up for invitational meets through Team Unify. Please note that when you sign-up for an invitational meet, you will be required to pay the invitational fees at the time that you sign-up for the meet. Our new software, Team Unify, will also email you both dual and invitational meet reminders on deadlines for entry into the meets.
• Please review the swim meet schedule carefully and mark your calendars. While you are not required to attend all meets, participation is encouraged. The meets are a chance for your child to demonstrate what they have learned and strive for personal best times. They also are a chance for the team to bond and have a great time.
• All swimmers should plan on reporting to a swim meet at least 15 minutes before the scheduled warm-ups.
• Swimmers are encouraged to stay in the team camp area during non-event times.
• Please make sure that you bring your team suit, team cap, goggles (extra set is always good), at least two towels, appropriate clothing to stay warm, healthy snacks and something to do between races. PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT EACH SWIMMER MARKS ALL CLOTHING AND SWIM GEAR WITH THE SWIMMERS NAME.
• Swimmers must be aware at all times of the event numbers and it is their responsibility to make sure they get to the bullpen or starting blocks. There will be an event number board located near the bullpen during each meet. Parents are encouraged to help younger swimmers get to the bullpen or their events on time.
• Meet results will typically be posted to your family account on Team Unify within a few days of the swim meet.
• Swimmers should report to coaches after each event. This gives the swimmer and coach the opportunity to discuss the event they just swam.
• Please check with the coaches if you need to leave a meet early (before all events are completed).
• Please call the coaches or email at email@example.com if you have a last minute illness or issue that prevents you from attending the meet.