Tips for Safer Snow Removal
At the Y, we have a partnership with The Ohio State University Sports Medicine & Rehabilitation at our locations in Gahanna, Grove City, Hilliard and Liberty Township/Powell. They recommend these tips for safer snow removal in accordance with recommendations from the American Heart Association. Below are a few of the tips you should follow when shoveling snow:
1. Give yourself frequent rest breaks.
2. Don’t eat a heavy meal prior to or soon after shoveling.
3. Use a small shovel or consider a snow blower.
4. Learn the heart attack warning signs and listen to your body.
5. Don’t drink alcoholic beverages before or immediately after.
6. Consult your physician if you have a pre-existing condition.
7. Be aware of the dangers of hypothermia.