Reasons Why Yoga is For Almost Everyone!
If you have thought about taking Yoga before, consider that you do not need to have any special background to benefit from it. Consider these myths:
• Myth: Yoga is for the young. Fact: many senior citizens have taken Yoga at the Y, and some of our instructors are well over 50!
• Myth: people who start taking Yoga are loose. Fact: if you think you are “too tight”, then Yoga will help you get looser. Most people who begin Yoga are fairly tight.
• Myth: Yoga is just for women. Fact: men who have taken to Yoga at the Y have increased their flexibility and balance. Several of our instructors are men.
• Myth: if you have back problems you cannot do Yoga. Fact: Yoga can actually relieve and prevent many back problems. Many exercises for bad backs prescribed by the medical profession are actually Yoga positions. Note: before you begin, you may want to consult with your doctor.
• Myth: Yoga is not fitness oriented. Fact: Yoga can help you become fit, and many classes are athletic, as you flow from 1 yoga asana to another. And you may sweat! You may also find that Yoga improves your balance, muscle strength, and core strength.
In addition to the benefits listed above, Yoga at the Y is relaxing too, as proper breathing is emphasized along with pre/post Yoga position relaxations.
How do you get ready for Yoga class? First, realize that Yoga is not a competitive sport, and you should not compare yourself with others. The goal is weekly self improvement in a relaxing environment. Also, be prepared to receive Yoga posture “modifications” from our instructors, which can help you move and stretch at your own level.
The Gahanna YMCA is now offering Yoga classes throughout the day to help meet your scheduling needs. These Yoga classes range from gentle yoga through the intermediate level. All classes are FREE for YMCA members!
So begin the process of getting healthy and staying there with Yoga at the GahannaYMCA!