Youth Hockey Instructor
The Gahanna YMCA is looking to hire a youth hockey instructor! The position will be teaching an ages 3-5 class and a 6-9 year old class, from 6:00-7:30 on Wednesday nights. This is very much an introductory program and will serve as a place to learn fundamentals of hockey.
At the Y, we’re more than just a gym - we’re a movement! You might know us as a place to lift weights but we are about lifting entire communities - and we want you to help us! Do you have the skills and experience to make a difference?
Instructs classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes youth development and member engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following, other duties may be assigned:
• Thinks, communicates and behaves as a cause-driven leader and role model for other staff and members when it comes to desired staff behaviors; promotes youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility in all job-related functions.
• Leads energizing, fun, safe, and educational classes/practices/games, as directed by the supervisor, to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals.
• Answers questions from participants/parents to support them in achieving their goals related to youth development. Maintains working knowledge of sport/activity, and trends to provide effective information and support to participants.
• Builds effective, authentic relationships with students and parents; helps them connect with each other and the YMCA. Encourages parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers.
• Conveys information on sports/activity programs and schedules, and as appropriate, refers participants and parents to other programs.
• Keeps accurate class records (attendance & progress reports).
• Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
• Prepares and maintains field/gym area before and after program; organizes and puts away class equipment; reports damaged equipment.
• Officiates sport/activity matches and games as scheduled.
• Assists in supervision of volunteers involved in sport or activity.
• Passionate belief in the Y’s cause of nurturing the potential of all youth, supporting healthy living for all people and finding ways to help and support our neighbors.
• Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
• Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid certification must be obtained withing the first 60 days
• Must be at least 16 years old and have experience participating in area of instruction; previous experience instructing preferred.