Safety & Security Specialist - Van Buren Center
Come put your skills to use where they make a difference. The YMCA team at the Van Buren Center is working to achieve its mission to end homelessness. We have Seasonal and Part-time positions open for a Safety & Security Specialist. These unique positions have the potential for additional hours and possible full-time placement.
All Y staff receive a free membership and invaluable experience working at one of the nations leading non-profits.
Responsible for assisting with the daily operations of the shelter program and provide a safe environment for the shelter participants, staff, volunteers and visitors. Provide support and intervention guidance to front line staff during high risk participant engagement. Responds to all building emergencies and is the lead for such occurrences. This person works directly and indirectly with residents in providing access to information and assistance with conflict resolution and crisis intervention.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following, other duties may be assigned:
1. Thinks, communicates and behaves as a role model for other staff and participants when it comes to desired staff behaviors; promotes youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility in all job-related functions.
2. Works closely with all shelter staff and related personnel to ensure good safety practices and interactions.
3. Responds to all building and property emergencies appropriately, and takes a leadership role in these situations.
4. Documents progress notes and observations in an objective manner and communicates information about safety, risk, maintenance issues/concerns, and client interventions/crisis interventions to the Assistant Safety Director.
5. Communicate participant issues and report any needed participant alerts to Shift Supervisors.
6. Communicates any resident special needs to the Shift Supervisors.
7. Assists the Risk Management/Security Director with developing, training, implementing and monitoring all safety and security policies and procedures, and other related duties.
8. Participates in team meetings to discuss and review resident service plans to ensure residents are receiving needed services.
9. Actively participates in all YMCA of Central Ohio staff trainings and required meetings.
● High school diploma required, associate’s degree preferred, plus 1-3 years working in the safety and security field/industry preferred.
● Must have intervention skills to resolve crisis and non-crisis situations in a timely manner.
● Must have computer proficiency and proficiency in Microsoft Office.
● Must have the ability to learn all aspects of the YMCA’s Shelter Services and supports provided.
● Must have the ability to assist in all aspects and operations of the YMCA Shelter Services Program under the direction of the Risk Management/Security Director.
● Must have the ability to develop a rapport with individuals experiencing homelessness and who may also have special needs including people with mental illness, substance use and criminal histories.
● Multi-tasking abilities
● Training requirements:
- Immediately upon hire: American Red Cross First Aid and CPR certifications
- Within 1 year of hire (and every 2 years thereafter): Non-violent crisis intervention, community resources, cultural competency, child and elder abuse, ethics mental health/substance abuse, motivational interviewing, and evacuation procedures.
● Passionate belief in the Y’s cause of nurturing the potential of all youth, supporting healthy living for all people and finding ways to help and support our neighbors.
● Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
● Proven track record of developing authentic relationships with others.
● Ability to foster a collaborative team approach to solving challenging situations.