Engagement Specialist - Van Buren Shelter
At the Y, we’re more than just a gym - we’re a movement! You might know us as a place to lift weights but we are about lifting entire communities - and we want you to help us!
The Van Buren Shelter has openings for Full Time Engagement Specialists. Our full time staff receive a wonderful benefits package that includes vacation, sick and personal time; health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Y-Retirement Fund; a free family membership and so much more!
This position is responsible for assisting with the daily operations of the shelter and to assure participants understand the services and supports being provided. This team works to provide a safe environment for the shelter participants & works directly with residents in providing access to services, information and referral and assistance with crisis intervention and daily living needs.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following, other duties may be assigned:
1. Thinks, communicates and behaves as a cause-driven leader and role model for other staff and members when it comes to desired staff behaviors; promotes youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility in all job-related functions.
2. Engages with guests to identify immediate needs to assist them during their housing crisis.
3. Maintains order in the dorms according to program policies and procedures.
4. Works closely with guests and communicates with Shift Supervisors, Service Coordinators, and leadership to assist guests in working through current crisis.
5. Documents progress notes and observations in an objective manner and communicates information about guest interventions on the shift log and to the Lead Service Coordinator.
6. Determines the need for referral to the client’s Service Coordinator based on their observations and the individual needs of each guest.
7. Communicates any guest special needs to the appropriate Intake, HMIS, or Service Coordination staff.
8. Performs bed inspections, cleaning of vacated beds & linens, storage of past tenant’s personal items, and other related duties.
9. Ensures assigned dormitory area(s) remain clean and free of clutter.
10. Communicates any maintenance, fire safety and general safety issues to the Operations Manager and completes the necessary work orders to request service.
• High school diploma required, associate’s degree preferred, plus 1+ years working with low-income population, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Must have the ability to resolve crisis and non-crisis situations in a timely manner.
• Must have the ability to learn the Social Service agency structure in Franklin County.
• Must have the ability to to assist in all aspects and operations of the YMCA Housing Program under the direction of shift supervisors
• Must have the ability to multi-task
• Training requirements:
- Immediately upon hire: American Red Cross First Aid and CPR certifications
- Within 1 year of hire (and every 2 years thereafter): Non-violent crisis intervention, community resources, cultural competency, child and elder abuse, ethics mental health/substance abuse, motivational interviewing, and evacuation procedures.
• Passionate belief in the Y’s cause of nurturing the potential of all youth, supporting healthy living for all people and finding ways to help and support our neighbors.
• Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
• Proven track record of developing authentic relationships with others.
• Ability to foster a collaborative team approach to solving challenging situations.