Committing to be healthy is the best decision people can make - come be a part of it!
Works with new and existing members to ensure they feel supported in and are making progress toward their goals, while developing a sense of connection both with the Y cause and other members.
• Thinks, communicates and behaves as a cause-driven leader and role model for other staff and members when it comes to desired staff behaviors; promotes youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility in all job-related functions.
• Contacts member within 48 hours of receiving notification of interest, and conducts individual meetings with members to discuss goals, gifts and interests; develops personal training plan with members to work toward their goals
• Conducts personal training sessions with members to assist them in reaching goals; demonstrating proper use of equipment in the wellness center; observes the members’ use of equipment and detects/corrects activities that may not contribute to goal achievement.
• Introduces new and existing members to group exercise communities
• Helps members to connect with one another to form friendships
• Regularly checks on members’ progress in meeting goals (both formally and informally); documents the conversations and progress using appropriate tools (Trinexum, information sheets).
• Makes members feel welcome by learning and using their names.
• Ensures the safety of members in the wellness center by maintaining the equipment in a clean, safe, and working order
• Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
• High school diploma and at least two years of coursework completed in exercise science or related field; two years related experience and/or training, and Personal Trainer Certificate from an accredited source (i.e. ACSM; YMCA; ACE, IDEA)
• Passionate belief in the Y’s cause of nurturing the potential of all youth, supporting healthy living for all people and finding ways to help and support our neighbors.
• Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
• Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and database programs.
• Proven track record of developing authentic relationships with others.
• CPR, First Aid, AED and O2 certifications must be obtained within 30 days
• Must have attended or attend YMCA Healthy Lifestyles / Principles of Health and Fitness within first 30 days; complete Listen First within first 60 days, and YMCA Foundations of Strength and conditioning within the first 90 days. Must keep certifications current throughout employment.
* The Downtown YMCA is seeking personal trainers for morning sessions.