Intake Specialist - Van Buren Center
At the Y, we’re more than just a gym - we’re a movement! You might know us as a place to lift weights but we are about lifting entire communities - and we want you to help us!
The Van Buren Center has an opening for an Intake Specialist. This is a part-time position that could include nights and weekends. Our Intake Specialists are responsible for the daily functions associated with the intake desk and Columbus Service Point, ensuring guests understand services and support being provided at the Van Buren Center. Additionally, this position will be primarily responsible for answering the Homeless Hotline. If you want to create positive change in the lives of others, this is definitely the job for you!
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following, other duties may be assigned:
● Thinks, communicates and behaves as a cause-driven leader and role model for other staff and members when it comes to desired staff behaviors; promotes youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility in all job-related functions.
● Serves as the initial point of contact when guests enter the Van Buren Center.
● Performs intakes with new guests by interviewing them and identifying needs
● Performs exit interviews with guests leaving the facility
● Performs entries and exits in Columbus Service Point in accordance with all current CSB requirements.
● Performs transitions between programs for guests in CSP and bed list.
● Documents needs of guests for late curfew, employment, school schedules via Van Buren procedures
● maintains active and inactive codes in systems 28
● Completes intake folders with new guests and make sure all required forms are signed and dated
● Answers the phone at the intake desk in a professional manner
● Maintains the bed list and other reports as needed
● Communicates changes to the Coordinated Point of Access via phone and email
● Communicates special guest needs to the Service Coordinator
● Ensures guests sign in and out appropriately
● Utilizes incident Reports, verbal reports at shift change and/or phone communication if determined necessary.
● Responds to all participant and facility emergencies pursuant to established Emergency protocols.
● Communicate effectively with other social service agencies to assist with referrals and providing information to the participants regarding other available services located within the community.
● Administers the Shelter Policies and Procedures
● Assists with input of participant information on various systems/computers and other filing
● Assists with coordinating appointments for guests
● Participates in departmental and assigned association meetings, trainings, and special events
● High School Diploma/GED; Associates degree or some college preferred
● Experience working with the homeless/low income population preferred
● Proficiency with Microsoft Office, professional email skills, and internet navigation
● Must have customer service skills
● Must have intervention & critical thinking skills to resolve crisis and non-crisis situations in a timely manner.
● Must have the ability to learn the Social Service agency structure in Franklin County.
● Must be able to assist in all aspects and operations of the YMCA Housing Program under the direction of the HMIS Supervisor.
● Must be able to develop a rapport with individuals with special needs including people with mental illness, substance use and criminal histories.
● Strong multi-tasking abilities
● Passionate belief in the Y’s cause of nurturing the potential of all youth, supporting healthy living for all people and finding ways to help and support our neighbors.
● Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
● Proven track record of developing authentic relationships with others.
● Ability to foster a collaborative team approach to solving challenging situations
● CPR/AED/O2/First Aid certification and NVCI training within the first 30 days of hire