Head Start Assistant Teachers
Provides supervision and instruction to preschoolers by performing the following duties:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Promotes the YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility in all job-related functions.
• Assists the Center Manager in supervising and implementing the program in accordance with Head Start Performance Standards and the policies and philosophy of the YMCA.
• Greets each child and parent daily; communicates often and professionally with families and children.
• Assists in the cleaning and maintenance of the classroom and common areas.
• Assists in managing the classroom and supervising children when the center manager is out of the center.
• Offers children appropriate affection, verbal praise, and acceptance while providing clear and consistent expectations for behavior; sets firm limits with positive phrasing and actions when necessary.
• Assists in ensuring program’s compliance with all ODJFS licensing requirements and Step Up To Quality requirements as applicable.
• Maintains prompt hours and follows procedures for absences.
• Completes duties as required by the Child and Adult Care Food program.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE : Two- year degree in early childhood education.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
• Must submit medical statement and TB test results as required by Head Start standards. Must obtain and keep current training certifications in first aid, communicable diseases, child abuse recognition & prevention.
• Must attend YMCA of the USA core child-care training series (Principles of YMCA Child-care and Working With courses) for applicable age group within one year.