Put your love of water to work at the YMCA! We are seeking a head lifeguard to guard and assist with scheduling, This is a part time positions (will include some evening and weekends) and includes a free Y membership!
Maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. Creates a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures; provides leadership and supervision to lifeguards on a shift
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following, other duties may be assigned:
- Thinks, communicates and behaves as a cause-driven leader and role model for other staff and members when it comes to desired staff behaviors; promotes youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility in all job-related functions.
- Reports in uniform (swimsuit, guard shirt, towel, whistle, rescue tube and barrier) to station when scheduled shift begins.
- Maintains active surveillance of the pool area; refrains from socializing while guarding.
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies, procedures, and the “safe-in-six” model. Completes related reports as required.
- Maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area. Rules are explained and enforced in a courteous, professional, and firm manner.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state Health Department code.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment (lifeguarding, rescue, and first aide) is available and functional; reports concerns to aquatics director or building supervisor immediately.
- Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving; reports any concerns to the aquatics director or building supervisor immediately.
- Clears all swimmers from the water during an electrical storm or adverse weather conditions.
- Secures pool are by locking all doors and gates when a lifeguard is not on duty.
- Performs chemical testing when not guarding , as required, and takes appropriate action.
- Attends all staff meetings and in-service training.
- Participates in emergency drills and procedures to the highest level that your training and the situation permits.
- Maintains inventory of supplies for pool, first aid station, and concession stand; recommend necessary purchases to pool manager or aquatics director.
- Ensures that staff are getting adequate breaks and are following the station rotation schedule.
- Monitors the money systems for concessions and gate proceeds.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
- Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
- Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
- Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
- Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Must be at least 18 years old; have high school diploma; lifeguarding experience and knowledge of pool maintenance.
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid and Emergency Oxygen.
- Current YMCA Lifeguard or equivalent certification.
- Ability to maintain certification-level of physical and mental readiness.
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA standards.