Food Service Assistant
Do you have a passion for food and want to make a difference in the lives of others? Do you want to use your leadership skills and culinary talents in a place where you know you’re making an impact in your community?
The YMCA of Central Ohio has an exciting opportunity for an energetic, entrepreneurial leader who is constantly seeking ways to improve and make things better. We are currently seeking a Food Service Assistant at the Van Buren Center.
Our full time staff receive a wonderful benefits package that includes vacation, sick and personal time; health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Y-Retirement Fund; a free family membership and so much more!
Assist food service director in all aspects of food service operation for the Van Buren Center. Prepares and serves meals for shelter guests according to established menus.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following, other duties may be assigned:
1. Thinks, communicates and behaves as a cause-driven leader and role model for other staff and members when it comes to desired staff behaviors; promotes youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility in all job-related functions
2. Prepares and cooks food for meals and special events according to established menu.
3. Implements quality control program that provides all guests with the highest quality of meal service, within established guidelines.
4. Oversees the health and safety of the food service operation including, but not limited to: compliance with all Health Department requirements; daily cleanliness of kitchen and dining areas, including storage areas and refrigeration unit
5. Cleans kitchen and dining areas after meals; sweep and mop dining areas and kitchen at established times.
6. Unload and stock kitchen supplies; notify supervisor when supplies are low.
7. Provides exemplary service to all participants in our Center and responds to their needs in timely and polite manner.
8. Assists in accommodating individual guests with special dietary needs.
9. Provide exemplary service to all guests and respond to their needs in a timely and polite manner.
10. Works cooperatively with all program staff, directors and vendors to best meet the needs of all guests.
11. Attend all required meetings; substitutes or serves in a leadership capacity when needed.
● HS diploma preferred and at least 1 year of experience in food service or catering environment.
● ServSafe Certified; if not certified, must obtain certification within 12 months.
● Passionate belief in the Y’s cause of nurturing the potential of all youth, supporting healthy living for all people and finding ways to help and support our neighbors.
● Understanding of the nature and purpose of the YMCA and the respective roles of volunteers and staff.
● Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
● Proven track record of developing authentic relationships with others.
● Ability to foster a collaborative team approach to solving challenging situations.