The Don M. and Margaret Hilliker YMCA located in Bellefontaine, is seeking an enthusiastic and passionate Fitness Coordinator to support our fitness team! This is a great full time position that includes full benefits (health, sick and dental insurance; vacation, sick, and personal time; a free Y membership; participation in our awesome Y-Retirement Fund - and so much more!)
Oversees the operations of the Group Exercise Leader, Personal Training, and Fitness Attendant teams in a manner that new and existing members feel supported in and are making progress toward their goals while developing a sense of connection both with the Y cause and other members.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following, other duties may be assigned:
1. Thinks, communicates and behaves as a cause-driven leader and role model for other staff and members when it comes to desired staff behaviors; promotes youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility in all job-related functions.
2. Screens, trains, and supervises the Group Exercise Leaders, Personal Trainers, and Fitness Attendants.
3. Leads the Group Exercise team by supervising and performing the following duties:
a. Ensures that instructors and classes meet safety and group exercise best practices in a comfortable atmosphere.
b. Ensures that every Group Exercise class has the goal of welcoming new participants and fostering a sense of community within class.
c. Ensures the Y’s THREE MINUTES is embedded in the branch Group Exercise Culture and that Group Exercise Leaders feel supported in their efforts to provide the requested Three Minutes.
4. Leads the Personal Training team by supervising and performing the following duties:
a. Ensure personal trainers and sessions are meeting safety and outcome best practices from the sale to end result.
b. Ensure that innovation is being integrated into the program through marketing and revenue by way of PT sessions, assessments, specialty training, and workshops with an emphasis on small groups and weight management.
c. Create, administer, and deliver incentive programs in collaboration with Member Onboarding Coordinator.
5. Leads continuous improvement efforts focused upon established key Association benchmarks including but not limited to the following measures:
a. class participation and attendance
b. convenience of class/program schedule measures
c. % of new members reporting that staff checks on my progress and discusses it with me
d. % of members reporting that they were introduced to group exercise community and
e. % of members reporting that they have friends at the Y
f. % of members reporting that team members are both friendly and competent.
g. % of members reporting that they feel welcome and that staff know their name.
h. % of monthly revenue goal generated
6. Manages the Group Exercise class and community schedule so that member needs are met, and labor costs are within established guidelines.
7. Ensure smooth operation of the fitness center by maintaining the equipment in a clean, safe, and working order and a positive, comfortable atmosphere for all members.
8. Collaborates with the branch executive director and his/her management team to ensure the safe and responsible operation of the Y including rotating responsibilities for overall facility supervision and program coverage.
● Bachelor’s degree in exercise science, psychology or related field, and two years experience working in health and wellness or social service environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
● Passionate belief in the Y’s cause of nurturing the potential of all youth, supporting healthy living for all people and finding ways to help and support our neighbors.
● Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
● Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and database programs.
● Proven track record of developing authentic relationships with others.
● Ability to foster a collaborative team approach to solving challenging situations.
● YMCA Team Leader certification; if not certified, must obtain certification within 12 months
● CPR, First Aid, AED and O2 certifications must be obtained within 90 days.
● Maintain all certifications through completion of applicable CEC’s to ensure they do not lapse at any time.