The Downtown branch has Full-Time and Part-Time Custodian positions open. These open positions may work a variety of shifts that may include some nights and weekends.
Under the direction of the Lead Custodian, Housekeeping Manager or Facility Director, the Custodian will ensure a clean, attractive, and well-maintained facility. This position will perform assigned cleaning and custodial tasks related to maintenance of buildings and grounds following established routines and instructions and sign off on a checklist provided daily.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following, other duties may be assigned:
1. Thinks, communicates and behaves as a cause-driven leader and role model for other staff and members when it comes to desired staff behaviors; promotes youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility in all job-related functions.
2. Ensures the facility is well cleaned and maintained; including owning communication from and to the Lead Custodian, Housekeeping Manager, Facility Director, other leadership staff and coworkers.
3. Sweeps, mops, vacuums, and cleans assigned areas. Washes walls, windows, light fixtures, lockers, etc.
4. Collects and removes scrap and refuse as necessary and directed. Cleans and sanitizes lavatories, showers, wash basins, etc. Replenishes supplies such as soap, towels and tissues as specified by supervisor and as indicated on daily duty checklist.
5. Assists with routine general maintenance such as simple room setups for meetings, moving furniture and performing heavier cleaning as necessary or as directed by Supervisor.
6. Accesses computer to print and record Facility Dude work order information.
7. Changes light bulbs as needed or directed.
8. Performs basic repairs and maintains cleaning equipment as directed.
9. Scrubs and/or waxes finished surfaces as necessary.
10. Responsible for strict adherence to all Branch line policies and procedures related to equipment, chemical safety, employee conduct rules and other regulations.
11. Builds relationships with and between members, volunteers, guests and staff by embracing the community our YMCA serves.
• Must be at least 18 years old and possess high school diploma or general education degree (GED) preferred; with at least one year of custodial experience.
• Must have ability to:
o follow instructions and work with little or no supervision
o work with chemicals and identify stains and use proper chemicals for their removal.
o Operate manual and power equipment
• Must possess knowledge of methods of maintaining, cleaning and preserving a variety of surfaces; proper use of a wide range of cleaning chemicals according to state and federal regulations.
• Passionate belief in the Y’s cause of nurturing the potential of all youth, supporting healthy living for all people and finding ways to help and support our neighbors.
• Understanding of the nature and purpose of the YMCA and the respective roles of volunteers and staff.
• Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
• Proven track record of developing authentic relationships with others.
• Ability to foster a collaborative team approach to solving challenging situations.
Full time Y staff are eligible for health, dental and vision insurance; vacation, sick and personal time, Y-Retirement (after two years), a free family Y membership and so much more!!