Custodian - Van Buren Center
Use your functional skills to help the YMCA team fight homelessness! The Van Buren Center is in need of Custodial Staff! These positions are Part-Time (16 hours) with shifts on the weekends. Please note- this position is located at the Van Buren Shelter, not the Downtown Y- but you still get all the great benefits of being a YMCA of Central Ohio team member!
Under the direction of the Lead Custodian, Housekeeping Manager or Facility Director, the Custodian will ensure a clean, attractive, and well-maintained facility. This position will perform assigned cleaning and custodial tasks related to maintenance of buildings and grounds following established routines and instructions and sign off on a checklist provided daily.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following, other duties may be assigned:
● Thinks, communicates and behaves as a cause-driven leader and role model for other staff and members when it comes to desired staff behaviors; promotes youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility in all job-related functions.
● Ensures the facility is well cleaned and maintained; including owning communication from and to the Lead Custodian, Operations Director, other leadership staff, and coworkers.
● Sweeps, mops, vacuums, and cleans assigned areas.
● Washes walls, windows, light fixtures, etc
● Collects and removes scrap and refuse as necessary and directed. Cleans and sanitizes lavatories, showers, wash basins, etc.
● Replenishes supplies such as soap, towels and tissues as specified by supervisor and as indicated on daily duty checklist
● Assists with routine general maintenance such as simple room setups for meetings, moving furniture and performing heavier cleaning as necessary or as directed by Supervisor
● Accesses computer to print and record work order information
● Changes light bulbs as needed or directed
● Performs basic repairs and maintains cleaning equipment as directed.
● Scrubs and/or waxes finished surfaces as necessary.
● Responsible for strict adherence to all policies and procedures related to equipment, chemical safety, employee conduct rules and other regulations.
● Builds relationships with and between members, volunteers, guests and staff by embracing the community our YMCA serves.
● Must be at least 18 years old and possess high school diploma or general education degree (GED) preferred; with at least one year of custodial experience.
● Must be able to follow instructions and work with little or no supervision
● Must be able to work with chemicals and identify stains and use proper chemicals for their removal.
● Must be able to operate manual and power equipment
● Must possess knowledge of methods of maintaining, cleaning and preserving a variety of surfaces; proper use of a wide range of cleaning chemicals according to state and federal regulations.
● Passionate belief in the Y’s cause of nurturing the potential of all youth, supporting healthy living for all people and finding ways to help and support our neighbors.
● Understanding of the nature and purpose of the YMCA and the respective roles of volunteers and staff.
● Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
● Proven track record of developing authentic relationships with others.
● Ability to foster a collaborative team approach to solving challenging situations.