Chronic Disease Life Style Coach and Instructor
The YMCA of Central Ohio is passionate about helping our community overcome chronic disease. We offer diabetes prevention, LIVESTRONG for cancer survivors, Health Weight and Your Child programs and so much more to benefit our members. We are currently hiring Lifestyle Coaches & Instructors to work with new and existing program participants to ensure they feel supported in and are making progress toward their goals in their program, while developing a sense of connection both with the Y cause and other members.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following, other duties may be assigned:
1. Thinks, communicates and behaves as a cause-driven leader and role model for other staff and members when it comes to desired staff behaviors; promotes youth development, health living and social responsibility in all job-related functions.
2. Leads Diabetes Prevention, LIVESTRONG at the YMCA and Enhance Fitness classes, and provides support and guidance to participants.
3. Implements the standard curriculum designed for the program participants.
4. Foster relationships with and between participants, helps members to connect with one another to form friendships.
5. Makes learning a shared responsibility for the group.
6. Regularly checks on members’ progress in meeting program goals; documents the conversations and progress using appropriate tools (mynetico, ODES website and goggle docs).
7. Enters data timely for each program participant, assures all documentation and testing is complete.
8. Prepares before each class; including reviewing participant’s food and activity trackers for Diabetes Prevention, weekly curriculum and lesson plans, and calls and emails reminders to participants.
9. Accessible to participants both before and after sessions to answer questions and follow-up.
10. For the Diabetes Prevention Program provide make-up session opportunity to a participants who is unable to attend the regularly scheduled class.
11. Attend quarterly meetings or conference calls with the branch Chronic Disease Coordinator and other life style coaches.
• Must be at least 21years of age, have HS diploma + two years of post HS education and at least two years post HS education and at least two years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience and certification in group exercise.
• Ability to work evenings and weekends.
• Attend and pass the required training for the program they will instruct/coach that may include Diabetes Prevention Program, LiveSTRONG at the YMCA, Healthy Weight and Your Child and Enhance Fitness.
• Completes prerequisites required for the Chronic Disease Program. These may include Facilitation Skills, Facilitation Change in Small Group and Listen First Training.
• Passionate belief in the Y’s cause of nurturing the potential of all youth, supporting healthy living for all people and finding ways to help and support our neighbors.
• Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
• Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and database programs.
• Proven track record of developing authentic relationships with others.