The YMCA of Central Ohio has an exciting intern opportunity at our Metropolitan Offices. As part of the YMCA of Central Ohio Chronic Disease initiatives, the billing specialist intern will prepare and submit claims to various insurance companies for the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program through the Athenanet system. The billing specialist will monitor the coding and reimbursement activities for diabetes prevention services and analyze patient medical records, ensuring that documentation conforms to legal and procedural requirements.
This is a paid internship that includes a free membership and free parking. The position requires 15-20 hours per week when school is in session (flexible between the hours of 8am and 5pm) and more when school is out or on break. Internship will run through June 2018 and has the potential to become a full time position.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following, other duties may be assigned:
1. Thinks, communicates and behaves as a cause-driven leader and role model for other staff and members when it comes to desired staff behaviors; promotes youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility in all job-related functions.
2. Prepares accurate CPT and billing codes used for billing services for the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention program.
3. Identifies and resolves patient billing errors.
4. Works with Diabetes Prevention coaches and coordinators to assure correct data is being received. Works with the chronic disease team on recommendations for improved documentation to avoid future claims denials.
5. Interacts with the Manage Service Organization at the YMCA of the USA regarding billing and documentation policy regulations, obtains clarification on conflicting, ambiguous or non-specific documentation and communication on coding and compliance issues.
6. Performs audits and analyses of payer denials, provides information on audits and formulates recommendations on improved documentation.
7. Performs various collection actions including contacting patients by phone, correcting and resubmitting claims to third party payers.
8. Process and reconciles payments from insurance companies and private pay individuals.
9. Maintains strictest confidentiality: adheres to all HIPAA guidelines and regulations.
● High School diploma
● Certification in CPT, HCPCS and HIPPS preferred
● Experience with the Athenanet and Medicare billing preferred.
● Working knowledge of computer programs including Excel, spreadsheets, Word programs and database programs.
● Passionate belief in the Y’s cause of nurturing the potential of all youth, supporting healthy living for all people and finding ways to help and support our neighbors.
● Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
● Proven track record of developing authentic relationships with others.
● Ability to foster a collaborative team approach to solving challenging situations.