The YMCA is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic leader to be the new director of our awesome aquatics program. This person will play a pivotal role in assuring great member experiences for all of our aquatics lovers, and those new to the water. Our Director will develop, organize and implement high quality, member-focused YMCA aquatic programs (ensuring pool safety, cleanliness, and training standards are met and aligned with YMCA of the USA, YMCA of Central Ohio, and the State of Ohio rules and recommendations.)
WHY THE Y?
From day one, we are invested in helping you reach your professional goals. We want you to feel valued and confident in your potential. Our training and development programs help promote learning at all stages of your career.Beyond offering the opportunity to make a lasting impact in your community, the Y provides a number or other benefits including:
- Vacation, sick, and personal time
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Participation in the awesome Y-Retirement Fund
- Long term disability & Group Life Insurance fully paid by the Y
- A free family membership
- and so much more!
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following, other duties may be assigned:
• Thinks, communicates and behaves as a cause-driven leader and role model for other staff and members when it comes to desired staff behaviors; promotes youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility in all job-related functions.
• Directs and supervises program activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill YMCA objectives. Establishes new program activities and expands programs within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans.
• Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations.
• Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules and directs personnel and volunteers as needed. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals. Ensures records of staff certifications are current and complete along with all in-service standards being met.
• Monitors and maintains daily pool operations, maintenance and chemical levels to adhere to all state, local and YMCA of the USA health and safety regulations.
• Conducts certification courses in both YMCA and American Red Cross courses
• Teaches in-services in accordance with association policies and standards
• Creates and schedules swim classes, water fitness classes, and swim team practices and meets.
• Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information
• Develops and monitors program budget to meet fiscal objectives. Maintains inventory and recommends purchases as needed.
• Models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions
• Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner
• Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in program.
• Collaborates with the branch executive director to ensure the safe and responsible operation of the Y including rotating responsibilities for overall facility supervision & program coverage and actively participates in branch philanthropy efforts, special events, meetings and training sessions.
• Manages a team of 20 - 50 staff in the aquatics department.
• Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
• Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training and coaching employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• Bachelor’s degree in recreation, aquatics, social sciences, or a related field, and two years’ experience working in an aquatics environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Passionate belief in the Y’s cause of nurturing the potential of all youth, supporting healthy living for all people and finding ways to help and support our neighbors.
• Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and database programs
• Proven track record of developing authentic relationships with others
• Ability to foster a collaborative team approach to solving challenging situations.
• YMCA Team Leader certification; if not certified, must obtain certification within 12 months
• Team leader certification requires: Principles and Practices; Introduction to Volunteerism; Introduction to Leading Others; Introduction to Fiscal Management; Leadership competency assessment; Team Leader Certification Test.
• Training Requirements:
- Immediately upon hire: lifeguarding certification (ARC); American Red Cross First Aid & CPR for Professional Rescuer; AED, O2 and state-mandated concussion training
- Within 6 months of hire: YSL, LGI (ARC)
- Within 1 year of hire: become YSL Trainer & complete YMCA Aquatic Management (YAM) and POOL.
- Within 2 years of hire: become trainer level in another aquatics area (POOL, YAM, Water Fitness, AOA, Arthritis, Disabilities, Swim Officials 1 &2)